Favorite Blog Post

3rd quarter: http://alanamwimer.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-problem-with-service-trips.html

4th quarter: http://alanamwimer.blogspot.com/2013/05/poor-quality-food-in-high-quality.html

Monday

Creativity vs. Brains


When I stumbled across this article in the New York Times about Chinese and American education I was quickly intrigued.  Chinese and Americas have conflicting views on many topics including education.  The Chinese have topped the reading; math and science charts while Americans are falling behind.  At first glance one would think "Americas should really step up their game" but when one looks at the bigger picture, some people may disagree.  After all, Americans are excelling in other things! We have a school system embedded with extra curricular activities such as sports, arts, and theater.  We are surrounded by opportunities to unleash our creative side, while Chinese students talents are stifled by pressure to succeed in academics. 
This summer I traveled to China and visited a school in Xi’an.  The students in the school were dressed in uniform and very polite.  We got to know the students the best we could across the language barrier, I ended up learning a lot about them.  When I asked one girl if she played any sports she responded by laughing as though I was so stupid to even ask and said "No! I have school".  I just smiled and nodded, but in my head I was shocked, she doesn’t even have time to play a sport? This shows that education is their focus, and that they know nothing else.  But how much better off would these students be with a creative or physical outlet, or way to express themselves? I believe this would take away a lot of the pressure they have on them and that these students would be much happier.  I know that I would not be able to stay focused, or make it through my day without drawing and painting 4th period and cross country after school.  Having an art and athletics in my day allows me to let myself relax and do something I really enjoy.  
Chinese people themselves seem to agree; "Many Chinese complain scathingly that their system kills independent thought and creativity, and they envy the American system for nurturing self-reliance", columnist Nicholas Kristof has gathered this information.  It really surprises me, but it also presents hope that maybe China would learn from us and adopt a new way to educate.


3 comments:

  1. I very much agree with the fact that children need to play sports or do other activities besides school. While a good education is very important, so is being active and having fun. Being cooped up in school all day with no outlet for energy or creativity is not a good situation for anybody. In my opinion, you need a balance of school and fun in your life to be happy. I would go crazy if all i did was go to school and study, and I'm sure the Chinese children above feel that way sometimes, too. However, I agree with those who say that "Americans should really step up their game". If we want to be competitors in the world and represent our country well, we need to have properly educated citizens. High academic standards are critical to our long term success. As long as our ranking in math and reading scores is not as good as other countries, we can't be satisfied with our quality of education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating post! Some of my friends who are studying abroad from China agree. They believe that Chinese education focuses more on the product than the process, making it very uncreative. One of my friends from wants to major in Communications. But what school in China could give her opportunities to explore this field? Now that she's at New Trier, she's already done lots of work with WNTH Radio and Soundtraks. My friend genuinely enjoys being an active student at New Trier and has made many friends through her adventures. These are also great opportunities for her future. Extra-curricular activities are very important for students because it helps them explore and make friends. Students need grades, but teenagers need to experiment and enjoy life. Our extra-curricular activities and fun classes are more than just simple fun because they let us be creative. Trying new things makes us ambitious. Although America may be lacking in test scores, China is lacking in wholesome students. What good does a test score do if you don't have the ambition to make a career off of it? Test scores can be raised, but individuality needs to be expressed. The American schooling system is definitely better because it lets students look past their grades and be themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do agree that America shouldn't adopt the Chinese's style of education, I do think America needs to actively try to improve our test scores. However, instead of resorting to intensifying classes and school work- I think Kim made a good point with her anecdote. Providing opportunities for students to engage in their passions outside of classes and through extra curricular activities, students will emerge even more ready to join the workforce than they would with high test scores. Using this approach of interesting extra-curriculurs instead of rigorous class work might help bridge the success rate between Chinese and American students.

      Delete